Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fordham Doppelbock

Much to my pleasure, I discovered a solitary remaining bottle of this in my fridge from a purchase several months ago. I've had this on draft at the Ram's Head Tavern at Savage Mill, and is my favorite of their seasonal selections.

Vitals:
  • Name: Fordham Doppelbock
  • Alcohol: 8.0%
Scoring (in solidarity with Charlie the Beer Guy):
  • Appearance: 8 - Pours a rich brown color, that resides as a deep brown-ruby in the glass. The head is a thick sudsy brown, that fades to no lace.
  • Nose: 6 - More subtle in intensity than expected. A bready and sweet maltiness predominates, with fig notes in the backround.
  • Taste: 7 - A sweet, dark fruitiness is strong up front, akin to fig or plum. The middle sees some smokey and spicy flavors come out, but they don't overwhelm the other flavors. There is an alcohol burn in the finish, along with a gentle bitterness.
  • Mouthfeel: 6 - The body starts out full, but fades quickly to a surprising thinness, and no aftertaste.
  • Holistic: 7 - This works well for me overall, although several aspects, such as the mouthfeel, don't fully jive with the strength of the style.

Overall: 34 - Despite having a lesser opinion of the lager style as a whole, doppelbocks are something I find quite appealing. This offering is a local seasonal favorite of mine, despite being somewhat uneven in terms of representing doppelbocks as a whole. It complements a hearty meal well, and it even lends itself to sessioning for those of stronger constitutions.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I recall having this on tap at Rams Head back in May. I found it quite delicious. I'm glad you reviewed it, as it reminded me of the pleasant evening. I heartily recommend it to others!

R. Glipglorp said...

It stirred similar memories in me, too - I've had this at Ram's Head before several game nights, and so it has a permanent place in the "warm/happy feelings" part of my brain. :)