Saturday, September 6, 2008

Southern Tier Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout

I was recently turned on to a new local beverage store, the Perfect Pour, and I am insanely happy to have found it - they have the single best beer selection I have yet seen in my area. This particular brew came highly recommended from the staff, and I was not disappointed.

Vitals:

  • Alcohol: 10.0%

Scoring (in solidarity with Charlie the Beer Guy):

  • Appearance: 9 - Pours a totally opaque brown-black, with no light penetration. The head is brown and foamy, fading slowly to a thin lace.
  • Aroma: 10 - Simply amazing. A powerful slug of vanilla, with butterscotch-caramel notes and a slight alcoholic undercurrent.
  • Taste: 9 - Very sweet, with a strong mix of vanilla and chocolate notes upfront. Roasty butterscotch and coffee flavors come out in the middle, with a pleasant bitter roastiness in the finish that persists. Little evidence of its high alcohol content.
  • Mouthfeel: 9 - Thick and rich, with little carbonation evident. Very smooth and silky.
  • Holistic: 9 - This mad hybrid of a dessert, a coffee drink, and a beer just blew me away. Wow.
Overall: 46 - Very impressive. While not for swift consumption or for all occasions, this is a serious treat that seems best at home complimenting dessert after a large meal. I definitely intend to pick this up again, perhaps to go along with a holiday dinner or two.

6 comments:

melaniet42 said...

It reminds me of butterscotch. Frisco Grille in Columbia had it on tap just a few weeks ago - that's where we tried it. Mmmmmmm.

R. Glipglorp said...

If Frisco Grille had a better menu, I'd eat there weekly. :)

On tap? That must be awesome!

melaniet42 said...

I totally agree about Frisco's menu. I do enjoy the buffalo burger though, and the baby likes their guacamole. I heard they have Southern Tier's Pumpkin on tap now. I've not tried it yet...

R. Glipglorp said...

I usually get the burger, and can't go wrong with chips and queso. :)

Having the ST Pumpkin on tap sounds like a good excuse to do dinner there sometime this week...

melaniet42 said...

Funny...we ended up there for dinner this evening due to a showing between 6:15-7:15pm. Southern Tier sure can make some dessert-y beers. Their Imperial Pumpkin definitely had something that none of the other pumpkins I've had did. More spicy than pumpkin-y. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

R. Glipglorp said...

I imagine I'll ruminate on it shortly, having had it tonight. It strikes me as an excellent in-your-face pumpkin PIE beer, but less so of a pumpkin beer.